Sonographer Reg Peds (Outpatient Imaging)Apply Job ID 2023-102517 Date posted 03/09/2023
Must be flexible with work hours to meet department needs. Must be dependable, accountable and cooperative. Assists with providing safe, age appropriate care to the patient by performing all exams provided by the department per department protocols. Has the knowledge and ability to properly and safely obtain a quality diagnostic study. Responsible for performing a wide variety of technical procedures requiring independent judgment, ingenuity and initiative in the utilization of equipment for the diagnosis and/or treatment of diseases. Able to independently perform job functions. Sets up the equipment to provide imaging service and positions patient for the procedure.
Core Responsibilites and Essential Functions
- Equipment * Demonstrates the ability to adjust technique so that patient receives the lowest possible dose of ionizing radiation and that image quality is maintained. * Reports problems regarding malfunctioning equipment to supervisor or service provider, so that problem can be corrected in a timely manner. * Cleans, disinfects and maintains equipment in accordance with infection control policy and department cleaning schedule.
- Patient Care * Verifies proper clinician order for procedure. * Obtains complete clinical history, gathers examination data and assesses for contraindicating conditions. * Ensures that all studies have proper patient identification and right and left marker are utilized appropriately. * Reviews ultrasound images for clinically acceptable results and releases patients. * Responds to emergency situations and maintenance of life support equipment. * Assists other technologists in all modalities when needed. * Observes patient condition and properly evaluates situations when physician intervention is necessary so that no patient condition deteriorates. * Verifies correct identity of patient using 2 unique identifiers prior to performing a procedure per hospital policy and procedure. * Ensures patient's privacy and comfort is accommodated. Maintains patient’s dignity throughout the exam/procedure. * Demonstrates competence in the determination and application of appropriate procedures, equipment, supplies and techniques based on the age of patients. * Organizes schedule, time and priorities so that required activities are accomplished within designated time frames. * Follows physician’s instructions when assisting with procedures and exams. * Uses critical thinking skills. * Dialogs with patient/family * Asks clarifying questions. * Seeks clarification on ambiguous orders. * Understands, demonstrates and documents preprocedural verification and Time Out process when appropriate. * Demonstrates and understands pre-and-post procedural care. * Preps the patient for the procedure. * Demonstrates and understands sterile technique
- Education and Communication * Patiently and clearly explains purpose and nature of exam to patient prior to starting of procedure, so as to minimize anxiety and facilitate cooperation using AIDET; Acknowledge, Introduce, Discuss, Explain, and Thank you of all patients and family members. * Ensures that patient's questions, concerns or contraindications are satisfactorily addressed, notifying physician when this cannot be accomplished, prior to the initiation of the procedure. * Participates in the orientation and training of departmental employees. * Provides patients with preparatory instruction and explanation of procedures. * Required documentation is concise, legible and includes precise terminology. * Reads email each day scheduled to work and follows through with assignment. * Completes mandatory departmental and Hospital-wide education without prompting.
- Quality Control * Consistently produces acceptable images, as evidenced by provider feedback and quality audits * Ensures that equipment is fully operational prior to each use, by checking for proper calibration and operating deficiencies. * Sends all studies to PACS immediately after completion, prints CD’s as needed. * Studies that have been reported after hours by teleradiography are printed and scanned into PACS, if applicable. * Completes all studies in RIS before completing in PACS. * Prints completed log sheet from teleradiography and submits to Radiologist, if applicable * Performs and maintains quality control logs for probe disinfection and follows infection control policies
- Operations * Restocks linens and supplies, and maintains the department in clean and orderly condition. * Transports patients, positions patients, and helps them on and off procedure table. * Performs patient charging activities on the day the service is rendered. * Applies supportive and immobilization devices and equipment. If needed * Willingly lends knowledge and assistance to others upon request as needed and routinely as time is available, without prompting, so that all working time is used for departmental advantage. * Performs routine duties of clerical and support personnel in accordance with procedure when warranted to ensure continuity and quality of services. * Keeps supervisor informed on all responsibilities on an ongoing basis, ensuring prompt notification in the event of problems or potential problems. * Maintains an individual productivity rate equal to other co-workers. * Ability to operate all work stations associated with the US department. * Ability to push / retrieve images from the Ultrasound console to PACS. * Maintain Joint Commission standards and any other regulatory agency standards. * Takes call when necessary * Any other duties as assigned.
Required for All Jobs
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Complies with all WellStar Health System policies, standards of work, and code of conduct.
Required Minimum Education
- Graduate of an accredited Sonography Program. Required
Required Minimum Experience
- Successful completion of a Sonography Training Program. Required and
- clinical experience. Preferred
Required Minimum Skills
- Must exhibit excellent communication skills because this position requires frequent verbal and written communications with: physicians, patients, visitors, departmental staff and nursing staff.
- The employee obtains, presents and discusses clinical information regarding job responsibilities on a routine basis.
- Candidate must be able to explain or give directions to maintain goodwill, and obtain cooperation with all contacts.
- Must possess the ability to function independently and under pressure while still actively participating in a team environment.
- Position requires the employee to exhibit excellent customer service skills at all times.
- Must be able to perform effectively in a stressful and fast paced work environment.
- Must have the ability to prioritize appropriately.
- Must be detail oriented and have the capacity to effectively multitask throughout the work shift.
- Must have excellent communication skills and the capacity to interact professionally with a variety of “customers”, including but not limited to patients, families, co-workers, volunteers, and physicians throughout the work shift.
- Must possess the ability to function independently, yet productively as a cooperative team member with various work teams associated with the position. Must be compliant, with a willingness to follow all Hospital policies as well as the established practices, protocols and procedures of the position, department and applicable professional standards.
- Must be flexible with work hours to meet department needs.
- Must be dependable, accountable and cooperative.
- Assists with providing safe, age appropriate care to the patient by performing all exams provided by the department per department procedures.
- Has the knowledge and ability to properly and safely obtain a quality diagnostic study.
- Responsible for performing a wide variety of technical procedures requiring independent judgment, ingenuity and initiative in the utilization of equipment for the diagnosis and/or treatment of diseases.
- Able to independently perform job functions.
- Sets up the equipment to provide imaging service and positions patient for the procedure.
- Competent in all aspects of Ultrasound, patient positioning, exposure factors.
- Must understand anatomy and pathology and how they affect the quality of a procedure.
Required Minimum License(s) and Certification(s)
- Registered Medical Sonographer 1.00 Required 1.00
- ARRT Sonography 1.00 Required 1.00
- Basic Life Support 2.00 Required 2.00
Additional Licenses and Certifications