Executive Director System Emergency PreparednessApply Job ID 2023-102547 Date posted 03/13/2023
The Executive Director System Emergency Preparedness reports to the Vice President Emergency Services at WellStar Health System. Primary responsibility is for the overall management of the System's emergency management and preparedness functions, including development and maintenance of a comprehensive emergency management and disaster readiness plan. This individual in this role brings extensive experience in emergency and disaster operations to the strategic oversight and daily function for all WellStar facilities, including hospital sites, medical practices and office buildings. The site safety officers will have a matrix relationship with this role.
The Executive Director coordinates with other functions, such as security, local response teams, risk management, organizational learning and internal communications to update or create education programs. Initial responsibilities will include review and analysis of existing emergency operations plans. This includes the assessment of new business partners and acquisitions. Using his/her expertise, recommendations will be made to ensure consistency of major response directives, while recognizing the needs of individual campus or office space.
The Executive Director System Emergency Preparedness will develop and maintain strong working relationships with the community emergency response operations and local and state disaster planning contacts. This individual will represent WellStar in community meetings, drills and planning. In addition, the individual in this role will maintain awareness of grant funds available from the community, state and federal resources; including preparing grant requests and managing grant funds. The Executive Director System Emergency Preparedness will bring awareness and consistency to WellStar's emergency response plan. This ensures team members working in the System are prepared for how to respond in an emergency situation to protect their own health and well-being and the safety of our patients and visitors. It also ensures we are prepared to support and serve our community in times of crisis.
Core Responsibilites and Essential Functions
Assessment of Existing Emergency Operations Plans
- Review existing operations plans for current point of care sites
- Review and assess the need for emergency operations plans at newly acquired sites and points of care
- Assess the effectiveness and consistency of existing plans
- Direct the risk and vulnerability analyses by emergency situation type
- Prepare recommendations to bring consistency or enhance existing plans
- Determine where additional communication and potentially drills are required
- Collect and maintain all emergency management and business continuity plans for all locations.
- Implement emergency preparedness plans in coordination with safety and risk management officers.
- Coordinate emergency response and special event planning activities with federal, state, and city authorities.
- Prepare reports, procedures, and documentation that supports the System emergency management function, operations, and plan development;
- Coordinate and ensures hazardous assessment by location and type; researches, monitors, and explains policy regulations and operating procedures.
- During an emergency or disaster, serve as a key member of the System emergency response team under the supervision of the Executive Leadership Team.
Community Emergency/Crisis Preparednes
- Maintain relationships with the all local and regional first responder agencies and governmental emergency operations centers.Research state and federal laws, regulations, and guidelines regarding the implementation of homeland security programs, and ensures System compliance with such regulations.
Required for All Jobs
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Complies with all WellStar Health System policies, standards of work, and code of conduct.
Required Minimum Education
- Bachelor's Degree of Science in Nursing or Bachelor degree in industrial safety, fire science or related field.
- Master's Degree Preferred
Required Minimum Experience
- Experience in a hospital or healthcare facility expected, including experience with Hospital Incident Command System (HICS) Required
- Minimum 4 years of experience in emergency management, including functional to extensive knowledge of hazardous materials handling, OSHA regulations, Joint Commission standards and Life Safety Codes.
- Must be familiar with FDA’s Safe Medical Device Act (SMDA) and American’s with Disabilities Act.
- National Incident Management System (NIMS) and emergency preparedness protocol
- Experience in business continuity plans Preferred
- Experience with grant writing and grant management Preferred
Required Minimum Skills
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work in a multi-ethnic and multi-cultural environment.
- Ability to work in a flexible manner responding to site or community emergencies on short notice.
- Demonstrated ability to remain focused during an emergency or crisis scenario.
Required Minimum License(s) and Certification(s)
- Georgia Driver's License 1.00 Required 1.00
Additional Licenses and Certifications
- Certified Emergency Management Healthcare Professional Preferred